Friday, 4 July 2014

Hever Castle

Last weekend me and my family bundled ourselves and maybe a few too many items of clothing into our car and headed off to Kent for the weekend. The reason for this excursion was that I had to perform a poetry reading in Canterbury on the Sunday so, on the Saturday, we decided to visit Hever Castle, the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. Being quite the history geek and having studied Henry VIII's reign for 2 years (retook to try to get an A in my second year) and also having studied Edward, Mary and Elizabeth for a year, I was pretty excited. And I had lots of in depth knowledge to bore my family with (*evil laughter*). Although we weren't able to take pictures inside the castle, I did get a fair share of pictures from outside of it which I hope you will enjoy.



After passing through the entrance the first thing we were met with was a massive lake. At the far end there was a Chinese style folly and you could rent these row boats, each named after one of Henry VIII's wives, to row across the lake and we did see some brave souls dotted around despite the threat of imminent rain.


There was a gorgeous building - I suppose this too would be classed as a folly - which led into the gardens and I was totally struck by how beautiful the water feature was. Where can I get one for my garden?!






The garden was filled with beautiful ornaments and the walls were covered with flowers.



Standing on the marble steps in my trusty Clarks slip ons.




We then went into another garden which had a beautiful pond and flower beds.



And I took a selfie in front of a shrub that I liked (the colour of it is very pretty). Please excuse the lack of makeup and rather scary overly-happy expression.




There was a gorgeous rose garden that was completely full of roses of every colour - the white ones looked especially nice.




More examples of how lovely the gardens were.



I really want to live in one of these adorable houses!


Da Boleyn crib


I rather liked this - aren't pigs so cute?! Other than the ones in Animal Farm...



On the way we stopped off at the services and picked up some snacks for lunch from Waitrose. I got an Indian Selection of samosas and bhajis with a mango chutney dip (it was gorgeous) and a tiramisu. 



This was what the courtyard looked like once you had gone over the drawbridge and passed through the entrance.





This was my afternoon snack - Victorian Lemonade and a big meringue. I shared the meringue with my auntie and it really was filling - I'm glad I didn't go it alone! The lemonade I would describe as an aquired taste - it was a bit bitter but I loved the bottle and have it upstairs (could double as a vase?).


It then rained but I had to stop and get one final shot of the castle in the gorgeously moody lighting.


And, naturally, a selfie. I look a bit odd but how many times will I be able to share a selfie with Anne Boleyn's childhood home?!

I hope you enjoyed this post. I am rather conscious that it was long and photo heavy but I just wanted to share this beautiful castle with you.
I have another lifestyle post and haul to follow so stay tuned, folks!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. This looks like such a beautiful place!
    sophielfarrell.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day!

    www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous photos, Lauren! What a beautiful place! xx

    www.alphabeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hever Castle is so stunning! I love the fact that the inside is like a Tudor cottage, and the topiary is so well done. Looks like a fantastic day out :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Hever Castle but it looks beautiful. I hope your poetry reading went well too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh soooo jealous. You know my Anne Boleyn feels! Cannot wait to get there someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so beautiful! I have to pay a visit to Hever Castle, been wanting to for years! The food you had looks lovely also :)

    missisgoode.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing pictures and location!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow my dad used to take me there when I was little. Looking at your photos brought back lots of nice memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a lovely day, amazing photos I love the idea of the Lemonade bottle as a vase xx

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig