Friday, 17 October 2014

Uni Room Tour

I feel as though this post may come as something of an anti-climax. I do love my room but, in all honesty, it isn't much to look at. And *looks around room horrified* is usually very messy with things piled high on the desk and bags and shoes discarded on the floor. However for these pictures I did manage to do a bit of tidying for this post - i.e. move the clutter out of shot whilst I took the photo.
Also, whilst I am rambling, I would like to quickly apologise for the lack of posts lately. I have had so much reading - and thus procrastinating - to do as for English Lit we are doing a novel, a Shakespeare play and an extract of Chaucer each week. And I have all the work for German and the reading for the German History module to do on top of that. So, of an evening I find myself slumped in my bed watching EastEnders rather than trying to put together a blog post that actually makes any sense because after a day of discussing the metafictional and the subversion of the genre of bildungsroman, I just want to sit there in a semi-conscious state.
Finally, and I promise this is the final bit of admin stuff, I want to say thanks to everyone who commented on my post where I ranted about being single (you can read it here). You guys are all super and - I completely forgot - there are now 400 of you! Snuck that extra admin point in. I feel like I should do something to celebrate. Maybe a giveaway will be on the cards soon? I'm not sure because I am a poor, simpering student but I could rustle something up. Maybe a lecture hand-out on the Volksgemeinschaft and the Master Signifier? Not your kinda thing? Well, I'll think of something...

 
I took this picture stood upon a mound of clutter that I had moved to create the illusion of a tidy room.
I don't tend to open the blinds as I'm not 100% sure we are allowed and it's not hugely safe to anyway. So all these pictures are taken in harsh artificial lighting - any photographers might want to look away now lest the poor quality pictures cause pain to you.





This corkboard is one of my favourite part of the room. I was given the ladybird pins as a leaving gift from my uncle and I sourced the postcards from all over - some from the postcard swap too. Unfortunately I ran out of pins to put the rest of the postcards up too.
I got the poster, which depicts a range of covers of Pride and Prejudice books, at the Jane Austen Centre in Bath.




These hang on my wardrobe doors. I got the lavender heart from a flea market and the bird from an 'odds and ends' shop.




Are you guys proud of my bed making skills? Only took me a whole summer working at a holiday lodge to learn how to make it...
The duvet cover is from Primark and the pillowcase is from Joules - it was in the sale and I couldn't resist it. The cushions are both from antique fairs.






One of the first things I said on arriving in this room was 'oh, it's bigger than I thought. Dang, I could have brought more books!'. But those above are the ones which avoided the pre-uni cull. Well, not so much a cull in that I still own them but they are being stored and unloved at my parent's house.





This is the other favourite part of my room for me. I have a few of my antique books - including a little book of Schiller's poems in German which I found in a bookshop in Rochester. I have a lot more at home which couldn't come with me. Soon they can be reunited though!
I also have my framed vintage theatre thing - yknow what I mean - which I dared to bring despite the possibility of it being smashed. Has survived so far so here's hoping it will be safe for the rest of the year.
And I have my - now empty - money tin which looks like a jukebox and plays funky tunes. It did have some change in there which I brought for laundry but it has all been used now.



My two beloved coasters. You know my love for vintage advertising!

 
The reading pile. I have added more to it since then.


 

The shelf of odds and ends. I have my makeup bag on here - with the adorable sausage dogs, perfume, a vintage playhouse bicycle toy, an engraved stone, a vintage Westward Ho! badge, the carving I got in Rudesheim, a card from a lovely blogging friend, Primark reed diffuser, my Coca Cola vintage style nail varnish tin and a manicure/eyebrow set.
 




 Then on this shelf I keep all my other random things alongside a massive German dictionary.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear your opinions of my uni room. And I am always eager to read room tours so if you have recently posted one, let me know!

15 comments:

  1. love your room, its so cute and cosy. Just found your blog!

    Lauren| thatgirlcalledlauren.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room is super cute! I love all the photos on the pinboard! All my uni rooms have been horrid, and really nothing interesting to look at. But it's only student accommodation, it's never going to be a dreamy pinterest bedroom of our dreams

    laurensibs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done a lovely job with this- uni rooms are not easy to make look some homely and personal! I love those ladybird pins, they're so pretty. I also really like your bedding- and grey is an excellent choice for uni bedding haha. I think decorating a room at university is much harder because you're only there for a short while, so you can't really bring loads of things with you and then it tends to just disappear under piles of work! Also- that's so mean that you're not allowed to open your blinds?!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ein wunderschönes kleines Zimmer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely and homely. Love all the personal touches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh what a fab post!! Love looking at your gorgeous wee space : D

    It's looking nice and cosy, with some gorgeous old books up there!!

    Good luck for the new season at uni xx

    Gemma
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks lovely, and just about as personalised as a uni room can get (although you're missing fairy lights :p)

    I love that Joules bedding- the duvet cover has been on my wishlist for ages even though we don't have a duvet small enough. I'd pay someone to make it into a dress for me.

    Are you really not allowed to open the blinds?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on reaching 400 followers. I love yout duvet cover and also I couldnt help but notice the gorgeous folders on your desk. Very pretty.

    Joanny.
    imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw love all your little trinkets and postcards. you've made it look lovely xx

    http://writtenby-agirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spy my postcard! Hope your settling in ok!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have those ladybug pins too (and loved them!).
    Your room looks lovely. :) Congrats on the followers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God! That dictionary is massive! It really is more a weapon than a book! I love what you have done with your room, it's hard to make a temporary space personal but you have totally managed. I love it!

    I hope you are enjoying your new home!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yaay congrats on the 400 mark- and I'd totally take the lecture ;) Also, I love all the sweet knick knacks that you have. I always feel like my random pieces are what make my home all homey, and you have so many cute ones. I especially love the postcard wall- that instantly made me smile!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dein Raum ist richtig süß, all die kleinen
    Vintage-Teile hier und da - so ähnlich stelle ich
    mir das bei mir auch vor. ;)

    Liebe Grüße

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete