Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Cheeky Makeup and Skincare Haul



There are a few different situations that call for investing in a whole new makeup bag and your graduation is definitely one of them. I mean, it almost makes all those years of studying worth it when you walk into Superdrug and tell yourself you can have anything, you deserve this. You can almost hear your debit card shriek as you scan through your basket of goodies but you get points on your Superdrug card for it, right? That basically makes it free.

But, as you guys can see, I didn't go too crazy. I was pretty controlled in there. The only thing I went a little wild with was the nail varnish. I saw so many colours that I loved - especially the sparkles. A girl can never have too many metallic nail varnishes.



Maybelline New York Super Stay 7 Days Gel Nail Colour in 'Rose Poudre' and 'Rose Veil'

And the award for the longest ever product name goes to this nail varnish right here! But I kinda don't mind writing out this tongue twister as you guys need to know how great these nail varnishes are. The pink one is a lovely nude colour but the real winner is this pink based metallic shade. I love a good nude (cheeky) as it goes with everything and I find light pink ones compliment my skin tone well. But the metallic shade has all the benefits of a nude but it is also shiny. I think the shininess makes it better suited to occasions (I wore this shade to graduation) but it can also be an office friendly shade because it is not too garish (I also wore it to an interview). Aside from the colour, this nail varnish applies easily and dries quite quickly. You could also get away with doing just one coat if you're in a rush. And it stays on for ages! They weren't lying when they called it 'super stay'.


Barry M Sunset Gel Nail Paint in 'Fuchsia Generation'

I loved this deep pink colour so much that I had no choice but to buy it. I thought it would be a perfect pop of colour on my toes during sandal season. The only trouble I had with this is that it came out more of a burgundy than a true pink when I applied it. I still love it and it is really long wearing but it is a little darker than I expected.


B. Micellar Water and Micellar Oil

I am definitely late on the whole micellar bandwagon but I caved when I saw these on offer and decided to give it a go. B. is a brand I had seen a couple of times online and I was intrigued by it since it is vegan and cruelty free. I am trying to be more conscious of the products I buy and how their components are sourced. I hope to become completely cruelty free in the future but I'm just taking baby steps for now. I have only used the micellar water so far and it seems quite effective in lifting dirt. I like to use it to clean my face on days when I haven't worn makeup - I use a cream face wash to remove my makeup - and when I wake up. I have sensitive, oily skin and I break out really easily when using new skincare products but I haven't had any issues with this. My only concern is that it is a little harsh to use close to your eyes so it is not great for removing eye makeup.


Freedom Eyebrow Kit in 'Auburn'

I had never heard of this brand before but I was really drawn in by the affordable prices. I liked their range of eyebrow kits and how they were catered to a lot of different hair colours. I chose the one for auburn hair as the red-based brown colour is truest to my hair colour. I liked that it is a powder but it could have done with coming with a little brush. Luckily, I have a lot of brushes but not everyone is a brush hoarder like myself.



Dior Forever Foundation in 012

This is the biggest investment piece of the post (and probably the year) but, I have to say, it was worth it. I got colour matched in store and they gave me two options to choose from. I chose this one because it has a more pink base colour which is truer to my skin tone than the cooler shade. Dior have a few different types of foundation on offer but I chose this one because it is medium coverage and matte. Since I have oily skin, I thought this would be the best option to go for a matte finish as more dewy formulas end up with me having to pile on the powder and then I get serious caking. This is a really nice matte finish and it covers my imperfections well without looking too heavy. I would really recommend this product but the only small downside is that Dior isn't a cruelty free brand - they opt against animal testing unless required but they still sell in China so they cannot be classified as cruelty free.


Freedom Contour Kit in 'Light'

I use my Seventeen powder contour kit daily but I decided to replace it with this instead of repurchasing the same one. I like the pink based contour shade and it is quite a light powder so you have to build the contour rather than it being really intense from the first brushstroke.

I hope you enjoyed this post and I'd love to hear if you want to see more beauty related posts.
What are your favourite products? Do you have any advice for going cruelty free?
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. You've picked up some nice bits! I have heard good things about the Dior foundation.. I have just shelled out £32 for my Nars one so I feel your pain x


    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig